THE HISTORY OF SIKHOTTABONG STUPA
Extract from Khemphone Senpathathoume
The Sikhotttanbong stupa funded by king Sumintharath or
Sumitta Thammavongsa Atherat of Sikhottaboun Laung Empire about the 5th
to 6th centuries before Christ year. According to the historical
document of the Buddha’s ash (That Phnon) retold that Nanthasane, the first
king of Sikhottaboun Empire governed the town during the lifetime of the
The history of Sikhottabong stupa didn’t appear almost
500 years in any histories and legends. In the reign of LaneXang kingdom,
the king Fa Ngum Maharath united the multi kingdom into one land in1353.
1433 the governor of Kabong town (Maung Kao) started to chip and clear the
surrounding of this stupa.
The history of Sikhottabong appeared in XVI as the
middle age of LaneXang kingdom. In 1539 the Teravada regime of Buddhism
influenced in Souvannaphoum region, the king Phothisarath renovated this
stupa, Sikhottabong stupa in wealthy of LaneXang artistic. Renovation
continued up to the reign of king Xaysettha II after Vientiane city founded
the capital his Excellency adopted and honoured this stupa. The renovation
completed in 1568 and the king leaded the people celebrated.
Began from the king Phothisarath, all king continuously
took care of this stupa. Up to the reign of King Sourya Vongsa ,(1519 –
1622) the governor of Kabong town king Nor Mouang or Phraya
Nakhonluangphisith Ratstanee Sikhottabounlaung leaded the people reserved
this stupa continuously. In 1806 the king Anouvong ( Xaysettha III)
renovated this stupa with king Malookha Nakhorn (Muang Kao).
Sikhottabong - the French domination period between
1893 – 1949.
After LaneXang lost independence to Siamese Imperialist
(Thailand) in 1779 up to even the behind of king Anou’s reign, the
Sikhottabong were sorrowful and missed someone to take care of.
In 1912 the people in the village and surrounded town
of Sikhottabong stupa chipped the plants and renovated the ancient grand
hall. At the north side of the stupa they built a Vihara while inviting
monks to stay there.
In 1945, after the first proclaiming of Lao
independence, the Lao Buddhists reformed this stupa and annually organised
celebration to pay homage Sikhottabong stupa. It is now the main festival
of the people in Khammoune province which is held at the full moon day of
the third month of every year.
The architectural characteristic of the Sikhottabong
- The Sikhottabong stupa established at Moung Kao
- Situated about 6 km from Thakhek municipality ( the
ruined town of Maloukha Nakkorn)
- The stupa characteristics are four currigulated
edges and each side length of 14,33m. The top of stupa has
characteristics which closely resemble of lotus or banana flower which is
the original artistic of Lao.
- The west side close to Mekong River, the south side
close to Muang Kao villages, East close to road and rice field and the
north is closed to Thekhek municipality ( the provincial office in
- The new constructions at the stupa area are four
cements made Buddha. Four houses built in 1961.
The government had loyalty order number for the
heritage of the traditional history and National nature. Other heritage
That Laung Stupa
The emerald house
Ong Tu pagoda
In Peng Pagoda
Luang Prabang town
The mountainous pagoda of Champasak
The Phou Asa pagoda ( Pathoumphone district,
Stony tunnel (Tomo village Pathoumphone district,
Ting cave (Laung Prabang province)